The Boise State men’s basketball team struggled offensively against San Diego State in a 73-67 loss at the Mountain West Men’s Championships on Wednesday.
The Broncos shot a season-low 34.9% from the floor and made just 6-of-19 attempts from behind the arc.
Here is a look at the good and the bad, plus, a few extra notes.
- Boise State forced 19 San Diego State turnovers, their most in a conference tournament game since 2002.
- After missing his first 12 shots, Derrick Marks scored 14 points on 4-of-10 shooting over the finals 12:09.
- With 11:32 left in the game Marks’ first field goal of the game sparked a 14-0 Boise State run. Trailing 49-36, a pair of Anthony Drmic free-throws game the Broncos their field lead of the game with 8:28 left in the game.
- Drmic scored a game-high 20 points. He leads the league with 15 such performances this season.
- Drmic now has 537 points scored this season. That is the seventh best single-season total in school history.
- Marks now has 490 points score this season. That is tied for the 19th best single-season total in school history.
- Boise State outscored San Diego State in the paint, 32-18. Ryan Watkins and Kenny Buckner led that effort with 12 combined points, on 5-of-6 shooting.
- Boise State was out-rebounded, 37-34, but outscored San Diego State, 16-3, on second chance points.
- After Boise State committed eight turnovers in the first 17:54 of game action, they turned it over just four times in the final 22:06.
- Boise State was held without a field for 8:11 in the first half. After Thomas Bropleh made a layup at the 9:59 mark to get the Broncos within two (17-15), Boise State’s next field goal came from Anthony Drmic with 1:48 left before halftime to make the score 30-21.
- Derrick Marks missed his first 12 shots and did not score a single point for the first 27:51 of the game.
- Marks attempted a season-high 22 shots, but only made four field goals. The number of attempts ties the most by a sophomore in the history of the Mountain West Men’s Championships (Brandon Ewing, Wyoming - 2007).
- Marks and Drmic combined to shot 11-of-42 (26.2%) from the field. Their 42 combined attempts is the second most by a duo in MW Men’s Championship history. Also, they are the first duo in tournament history to attempt at least 20 shots apiece in the same game.
— Jay Tust (Follow on Twitter: @KTVBSportsGuy)